What to Include in Your Garden
There is a growing awareness of the value of growing native Malibu plants for their hardiness and water efficiency.
The Theodore Payne Foundation is a non-profit organization and valuable information source. Click to go to Theodore Payne page.
In addition to milkweed, we recommend adding native nectar plants including:
- Arroyo Lupine
- White Sage
- Black Sage
- Put soil in flat, soak soil, sprinkle seeds on top of soil, cover seeds will light layer of dirt, mist top layer of soil.
- Keep moist but not too wet (damp) and in a few weeks you should have seedlings.
- When they sprout and have about 5-6 leaves on them you can transfer them to larger pots.
When plants are 3-4 inches high, you can plant in ground.
- Filtered sunlight is best for starting plants from seed. When they are ready to go into the ground , they like a sunny spot or mostly sunny area.
- As for watering in ground , since they are a native plant they like water during the rainy season and little or no water in the dry season . With no rain, however, plants in the ground and in pots will need watering.